While child support has strict formulas to determine the amount, the practice of this area of the law is more complicated than calculating numbers. At the Law Offices of Joseph M. Corey, PA in Haileah, Florida, we have experience helping clients determine fair amounts of financial support for their children.

Calculating Child Support Amounts

Parents who are divorcing are obligated to support their child, whether they are the custodial parent or noncustodial parent. The state of California uses a formula to determine the amount of child support paid by either parent. Combined income of spouses, health care and educational expenses, support for children from another marriage, and percentage of time spent with a son or daughter are all included in the calculation.

Disputes Over Data to Determine Child Support

While the calculations are strict, disputes arise over the accuracy of the information entered. Wages are easy to calculate. Self-employed income or money earned from business ownership can present challenges. At the Law Offices of Joseph M. Corey, PA, our job is to get all of the facts and determine a fair amount that is also in the best interest of the children. If income and expense data amounts are hard to identify, we team with forensic accountants to get a better look at the overall financial picture.

Mediating Child Support Disputes

As in most family law matters, we strive for settlement in child support matters. Providing for your children should extend beyond your marriage. Providing accurate data can move the process along and avoid contentious discussions and the possibility of litigation.

CONTACT US TODAY to learn more about our Child Support Legal Services and to get a FREE CONSULTATION.

If there has been a substantial change of circumstances since the entry of your child support order or Final Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage or Final Judgment of Paternity our office can assist you in modifying your child support obligation (upward or downward) or your timesharing (visitation) schedule either requesting more timesharing with your child(ren) or reducing the timesharing with the child(ren) which would depend on the facts and circumstances in your case.